Previously we defined what self esteem is and what it means to love yourself hopefully it was helpful.
Here are some tips to help improve and maintain your self esteem
1. The most important of them all is to consciously change your perspective to believe that you are good enough, silence the negative thoughts and inner critic in there that’s where it all begins because without this every other effort is wasted.
2. Secondly refocus your thoughts and get motivated. This means instead of dwelling on the hundred and one reasons why your not good enough motivate yourself into doing and achieving greater things when those thoughts get stuck in your head a reply always does the trick it could be a phrase like “stop”, “don’t even go there”, “nope not today” etc. Your replying to reassure yourself that you have it under control and those thoughts don’t get to decide who you are and how you see yourself consistently counter those expressions.
3. Ensure to do a 2-minute self appreciation
This is to help build your self esteem and eventually shake off negative thoughts from your mind you can also go a step further to look yourself in the mirror and say the things you love about yourself.
4. Be focused on taking actions that will bring results and incase you do not meet your target please do not feel sorry for yourself. Be satisfied with your accomplishments at the moment. Don’t get carried away with becoming a perfectionist.
5. Avoid comparison
Your only competition should be yourself.
And when you see things that way you will be OK with the fact that there will always be people ahead of you, that’s just life but your focus should be on your results and how you have improved your results.
6. Change your circle
Choose to spend less time with people who are nervous perfectionists, negative critics, unkind or unsupportive of your dreams or goals.
And spend more time with positive, uplifting people who have more realistic standards with a positive mindset about things.
7. Be careful what you feed your mind with.
A large percent of the person we turn out to be is dependent on what we see and listen to channeled through social media, television, radio even magazines etc.
It is safer to filter the information that gets to you to avoid negative thoughts and feeling of uncertainty towards yourself.
8. Being nice and kinder to people irrespective of who they are always earns you the same respect and when you are appreciated you tend to do more not only that but also you begin to see yourself differently which is a good way to build self esteem.
9. Lastly, handle past failures and mistakes with positivity. Yes some mistakes can be painful and regretful but train yourself to see it as added advantage because you won’t make such mistake again and this has given room for growth and improvement. Set your mind to do something new don’t dwell on the past its not pretty over there.
Remember you are good enough don’t let anyone tell you less.